Historical Marker #1824, located at 421 High Street, Paris, KY (US 68 & 460), describes Eades Tavern, one of the oldest buildings in Paris, KY. It has served as tavern, post office, school, and as a private home.
Thomas Eades built the log portion of Eades Tavern around 1795. The first travelers who stopped at the Tavern were walking or riding their houses and leading pack horses. The road described as “no more than a buffalo trace” from Limestone (later Maysville) to Lexington was very busy with mail carriers, salesmen with their wares and early settlers. Eades Tavern, like many of the early taverns, served bacon, whiskey and Indian corn. For certain fees, the travelers received “good cleanly lodging and diet for travelers, stableage and provender for horses.”
As roads improved, business increased and stage coaches came into use. They bounced over corduroy (logs laid together across the roads) roads, often got stuck in the mud, sometimes overturned but always eventually delivered their passengers at tavern doors.
In addition to serving as owner and master of his tavern, Thomas Eades kept the first post office in Paris, the fifth in the state.
In 1803, Eades Tavern became the law office of Robert Trimble, a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives. The Tavern was his home, his law office and the place where he married his wife. Later in 1826, he became a member of the United States Supreme Court. He died two years later, however, ending a brilliant career.
In 1846 John Lyle Walker bought Eades Tavern and lived there during his years of editing one of the local Paris papers. “Miss Lizzie” Pullen Walker in the 1890’s held a private school in the rear of the house where a back porch had been enclosed. She held the opening services, music activities and prayers in the parlor, one of the cherry log rooms in the front.
The Walkers owned this house for 127 years. Since 1973 several owners have added on, restored, renovated and cared for this venerable building.
“Sketches of Paris, Bourbon County, KY,” Keller and McCann, 1876.
Historic Architecture of Bourbon County, Kentucky, Walter E. Langsam and William Gus Johnson, Paris, KY, Historic Paris-Bourbon County, Inc., 1985, p. 246.
Stage Coach Days in the Bluegrass, J. Winston Coleman, Jr., The Standard Press, Louisville, KY, 1935.
Ms. Walker’s Class
Miss Lizzie Walker’s class of 1900, standing in front of her home, known earlier as Eades Tavern.
Robert Trimble, lawyer and judge
The drawing illustrates the way in which the logs were laid over a framework of logs, and it’s clear how bumpy such a road could be.